Christchurch

Christchurch
Christchurch Priory



Christchurch Priory

Christchurch Priory There has been a church on the site since around 800 A.D. The present building was begun in 1094 by Ranulf Flambard and has since been in continuous use as a place of prayer and pilgrimage.

In 1099 Flambard was appointed Bishop of Durham, but work continued under his successors in the office of Dean of Thuinam Priory, and by about 1150 it would have comprised a basic Norman cruciform church namely a nave (up to Triforium level) with its north and south aisles; probably a central tower; and an apsidal-ended quire extending eastwards from the crossing at the nave to about as far as the sanctuary steps in the present quire.

Christchurch